The concept of conservation areas was introduced in England, Wales and Scotland by the Civic Amenities Act 1967.
Reading Celebrates the Anniversary.
We invite you to join us on guides walks, led by lecturer and local historian Margaret Simons, of two of Reading’s central Conservation Areas on each of Friday 16 June and Sunday 18th June. As town can be so busy numbers are restricted to 15 per walk. Each walk will take around 90 minutes. Donations will be sought of £3 per head, students and children free. Suggested lower age limit is 14 unless there is a particular interest. The Eventbrite links below provide further details and how to book:-
- Forbury Gardens, the Abbey Quarter and the Market Place and London Street Conservation Areas.
- Meet at the Maiwand Lion in Forbury Gardens.
- Timing: Friday 2pm, Sunday 11am
- The Eventbrite links to find out more and to book your places are: –
- St Mary Butts, Castle Street and Southampton Street.
- Meet outside St Mary’s Castle Street.
- Timing; Friday 10am and Sunday 3pm.
- The church of St Mary’s ( Grade II*) along with their information centre will be opened especially for us at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm. Peter Trout will give a short talk about the history of the church and what was on the site previously and then there will be the opportunity to explore their archives.
Civic Voice, the national Charity of the Civic movement is holding the Big Conservation Conversation in 2017 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Conservation Areas being established. Groups around the UK are being encouraged to raise awareness of conservation areas and for communities to come together to say “My Conservation Area Matters“.
Civic Day, 17th June 2017, is to be Civic Voice’s focus to celebrate 50 years of conservation areas, they are encouraging groups to set up, and participate in, local and national events to recognise how conservation areas have helped keep many of our towns distinctive.
The above walks have been commissioned by Reading Civic Society working with Reading Conservation Area Advisory Committee.