Updated 28 August; St Peters CA process, link to the Heritage Views report added.
Updated 5 August 2018 LOGO & My Conservation Area Matters
- In December 2017 we were delighted to submit our Draft Conservation Area Appraisal update for St Peter’s Caversham to RBC. After further discussion a final version was presented to the SEPT in July and the Council has commenced formal consultation. It will be December 2018 before this is approved and live.
Further information may be accessed HERE
- The first Reading CA to begin their community–led appraisal was the Russell Street & Castle Hill CA, a large densely populated CA experiencing many of the problems of multiple occupation and inner city living. This was followed shortly after by St Peter’s, Caversham. We are working to complete these two during 2017. We have started on Market Place/ London Street and Eldon Square.
- Updates on the progress of each may be accessed by the drop down menus in the CAAC area of the Reading Civic Society website
- The existing Conservation Area Appraisals may be accessed HERE. This page also includes one page summaries CAAC members have prepared for ALL areas except Horncastle and Routh, where we do not have representation on our committee.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Volunteers to assist complete this significant task are sought. Please contact Evelyn Williams – the Chair of the CAAC if you wish to discuss how to get involved email@example.com
Protection of significant views with heritage interest
We have worked with the Council’s Planning Policy team to identify River and Town Views of historical significance. A report on Reading’s 9 Heritage Views was accepted by RBC as an input into the latest plan. It may be seen HERE.
This concluded some stirling work by a small number of volunteers from the CAAC.
Commenting on Planning Applications
We have commented on a number of applications- from the Three Guineas to the Petrol Station on London Road. The council have welcomed our informed comments.
Engaged with Developers of major and minor planning proposals during the course of the development of their proposals. This enables us to gain an understanding of proposals and we aim to shape them on the way.
My Conservation Area Matters
Reading Civic Society walks of the Russell Street / Castle Hill Conservation Area will be run for Heritage Open Days on 6th and 15th September 2018. Details are shown on the 2018 Activities for members page.