Updated 5 August 2018 LOGO & My Conservation Area Matters
- In December 2017 we were delighted to submit our Draft Conservation Area Appraisal update for St Peter’s Caversham to RBC. We have since held two meetings to progress its refinement and a Site Visit will be held in February to resolve a couple of questions from RBC. After further refinement the document will be presented to the SEPT in July and the Council will undertake consultation. It will be December 2018 before this is approved and live.
- The first Reading CA to begin their community–led appraisal was the Russell Street & Castle Hill CA, a large densely populated CA experiencing many of the problems of multiple occupation and inner city living. This was followed shortly after by St Peter’s, Caversham. We are working to complete these two during 2017. We have started on Market Place/ London Street and Eldon Square.
- Updates on the progress of each may be accessed by the drop down menus in the CAAC area of the Reading Civic Society website
- The existing Conservation Area Appraisals may be accessed HERE. This page also includes one page summaries CAAC members have prepared for ALL areas except Horncastle and Routh, where we do not have representation on our committee.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Volunteers to assist complete this significant task are sought. Please contact Evelyn Williams – the Chair of the CAAC if you wish to discuss how to get involved firstname.lastname@example.org
Protection of significant views with heritage interest
We have worked with the Council’s Planning Policy team to identify River and Town Views of historical significance. As a result the Local Plan for 2018 includes 8 agreed views.
In January 2018 we submitted a summary document to RBC which analyses the features of each area. Once this is approved it will be published and a link provided here.
This concluded some stirling work by a small number of volunteers from the CAAC.
Commenting on Planning Applications
We have commented on a number of applications- from the Three Guineas to the Petrol Station on London Road. The council have welcomed our informed comments.
Engaged with Developers of major and minor planning proposals during the course of the development of their proposals. This enables us to gain an understanding of proposals and we aim to shape them on the way.
My Conservation Area Matters
Reading Civic Society walks of the Russell Street / Castle Hill Conservation Area will be run for Heritage Open Days on 6th and 15th September 2018. Details are shown on the 2018 Activities for members page.