Updated 22 Feb 2020
- The updated Conservation Area Appraisal update for St Peter’s Caversham was adopted in 2018. Further information may be accessed HERE
- The updated CAA for Russell Street and Castle Hill was submitted in February 2020 after 3 long years of work (elapsed time). It will probably be another 12 months before it can be adopted.
- In late 2016 the work began on the first Reading CA community–led appraisal Russell Street & Castle Hill CA, a large densely populated CA experiencing many of the problems of multiple occupation and inner city living. This was followed shortly after by St Peter’s, Caversham. Work is underway on Market Place/ London Street and Eldon Square CAs.
- Updates on the progress of each may be accessed by the drop down menus in the CAAC area of the Reading Civic Society website
- The existing Conservation Area Appraisals may be accessed HERE. This page also includes one page summaries CAAC members have prepared for ALL areas except Horncastle and Routh, where we do not have representation on our committee.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Volunteers to assist complete this significant task are sought. Please contact Evelyn Williams – the Chair of the CAAC if you wish to discuss how to get involved email@example.com
Protection of significant views with heritage interest
We have worked with the Council’s Planning Policy team to identify River and Town Views of historical significance. A report on Reading’s 9 Heritage Views was accepted by RBC as an input into the latest plan. It may be seen HERE.
This concluded some stirling work by a small number of volunteers from the CAAC.
Commenting on Planning Applications
We have commented on a number of applications- from the Three Guineas to the Petrol Station on London Road and in early 2020 on plans to add 3 tower blocks to the tope of Broad St Mall. The council have welcomed our informed comments.
Engaged with Developers of major and minor planning proposals during the course of the development of their proposals. This enables us to gain an understanding of proposals and we aim to shape them on the way.