The Role of Reading Civic Society
Reading Civic Society was formed in 1962 to fight a wave of insensitive development that threatened to destroy much of the town’s historic centre.
- Scrutinise new planning proposals [link to section on planning]
- Promote conservation not only of historic buildings but also of the town’s waterways, parks and street landscapes
- Encourage good design in new developments.
- Educational visits are arranged each year to nearby towns and cities during which we seek to meet members of their Civic Society to learn what we can about their issues and solutions.
- An annual party is held for members in March each year. There is a newsletter for members 2-3 times a year.
- Reading Civic Society is a member of Civic Voice – the national charity for the Civic Movement. Several of its members are part of the Reading Conservation Area Advisory Committee which was formed in 2016 to advice Reading Borough Council on the issues facing Conservation Areas.
Further information about our Activities and how to join us may be found HERE