Last update to pages on this website 21 April 2018 (Activities for Members page)
This page last updated 24 February 2018
You may have been directed to this page from Reading Borough Council’s page about Conservation Areas. If so you can find information about these by clicking on the links which follow:
- Brief guidance about the planning constraints if you own, or rent, a property or run a business in a Conservation Area.
- 1 page summaries of the special features of each Conservation Area and Individual Conservation Area Character Appraisals.
- My Conservation Area matters – celebrating the 50th anniversary of Conservation Areas
Information is provided to guide owners of Listed Buildings on the permissions they need to be able to undertake work to their properties.
Established in 2016 information is provided here about its work and progress to date.
Achievements to date may be seen HERE
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Volunteers to assist complete this significant task are sought. Please contact Evelyn Williams – the Chair of the CAAC if you wish to discuss how to get involved email@example.com
Conservation Area Appraisal Updates
We have made significant progress updating two conservation Area Appraisals, the progress updates are:
Reading Civic Society was formed in 1962 to fight a wave of insensitive development that threatened to destroy much of the town’s historic centre.
In 2017 we were one of 6 Societies presented with Civic Voice’s Civic Day Award.
(Above) Richard Bennett, Katrina Parker, Dr Margaret Simons, Karen Rowland. Photo Chris Widdows
The award was given for the work carried out in Reading during 2017 to raise awareness and appreciation of Conservation Areas during the 50th anniversary year of CAs, the main theme of Civic Voice’s national activities in 2017.
Our guided walks in CAs in June for Civic Day, and in September for HODS, were very successful due to Dr Margaret Simons, who led the walks (to whom many thanks), assisted by Katrina Parker and Richard Bennett. We were also commended for the contribution of several Civic Society members on the CAAC, who are undertaking the updated appraisals of our CAs.
The Role of Reading Civic Society
- Scrutinise new planning proposals [link to section on planning]
- Promote conservation not only of historic buildings but also of the town’s waterways, parks and street landscapes
- Encourage good design in new developments.
- Educational visits are arranged each year to nearby towns and cities during which we seek to meet members of their Civic Society to learn what we can about their issues and solutions.
- An annual party is held for members in March each year. There is a newsletter for members 2-3 times a year.
- Reading Civic Society is a member of Civic Voice – the national charity for the Civic Movement. Several of its members are part of the Reading Conservation Area Advisory Committee which was formed in 2016 to advice Reading Borough Council on the issues facing Conservation Areas.
Further information about our Activities and how to join us may be found HERE
You may contact the Chair (Richard Bennett) to discuss any particular interests on Bennettbaker@msn.com
Updated 14 February 2018.