You may have been directed to this page from Reading Borough Council’s page about Conservation Areas. If so you can find information about these by clicking on the links which follow:
Castle Hill/ Russell Street Conservation Area- Re-Appraisal April 2017.
A draft of the proposed Re-Appraisal of this area was published on 9 April 2017 and shared with the local community (residents and landlords) at an event in The Oasis, Baker Street. The views of the local community are sought, there is a survey which can be completed until 15 May 2017. The re-appraisal proposes that the Conservation Area is extended. The report, a map showing the existing boundary of the CA and the proposed extension, and the survey may be accessed via the link CA Re-Appraisal and Survey.
Conservation Areas. This area provides:
- 1 page summaries of the special features of each Conservation Area, these have been prepared by members of the Conservation Area Advisory Committee.
- Individual Conservation Area Appraisals. These have been extracted from the single RBC document which holds ALL the Conservation Area Appraisals.
- Brief guidance about owning and repairing a property in a Conservation area.
Listed Buildings .This area provides information to guide owners of Listed Buildings on the permissions they need to be able to undertake work to their properties.
Reading Civic Society
Reading Civic Society was formed in 1962 to fight a wave of insensitive development that threatened to destroy much of the town’s historic centre.
Our present role is to:
• scrutinise new planning proposals [link to section on planning]
• campaign on important issues such as road building, pedestrianisation schemes and urban tree management
• promote conservation not only of historic buildings but also of the town’s waterways, parks and street landscapes
• encourage good design in new developments and by supporting students of urban design at Reading University.